It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Wikipedia - Official support will end as of August 8, 2010 

Post Wikipedia - Official support will end as of August 8, 2010
First of all: hi all, I'm a new Optimus Maximus user from Italy :)

I just found this on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Maximus_keyboard

Quote:
No more Optimus Maximus keyboards will ever be produced. Official support for existing Optimus Maximus keyboards will end as of August 8, 2010. No replacement parts will available after August 8, 2010. What is out there is all there will ever be.

I really hope it's not true!
I just checked the art.lebedev site and there is no mention of it, the keyboard seems available for shipping and some other resellers I checked online are in the same condition (available for shipping).

Someone here can clarify this ?

Thank you!

Luis

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Wikipedia - Official support will end as of August 8, 2010
I have asked for an official responce to this but i am not hopeful for a responce.

I don't believe this to be true as there is no mention of this on either the Lebedev blog or their website. problem is that anyone can edit the wiki pages and it requires someone to dismiss the claims before they can be removed again.

If you were an unhappy OM customer then that would be a good way to get revenge!

Saying that though it is possible that Lebedev makes the OM in batches and with the up coming Popularis keyboard the priority to produce OM will very likely switch possably permenatly but I suspect spares will be generally available for time to come.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Thank you for your reply.

mostdom wrote:
I have asked for an official responce to this but i am not hopeful for a responce.

Can I ask you why (you are doubtful I mean) ?

I initially thought to write to them directly, but considering this is an official forum (I saw some post from their developers, and there is a link to it in the OM configurator software) I decided maybe was better to start here.

mostdom wrote:
I don't believe this to be true as there is no mention of this on either the Lebedev blog or their website. problem is that anyone can edit the wiki pages and it requires someone to dismiss the claims before they can be removed again.

Certainly.

mostdom wrote:
Saying that though it is possible that Lebedev makes the OM in batches and with the up coming Popularis keyboard the priority to produce OM will very likely switch possably permenatly but I suspect spares will be generally available for time to come.

Two questions about that if I may:

Does the new keyboard uses a different kind of of oled "chip" for its keys ? There is no possibility they are compatible ? I admit I don't know anything about this possible new product.

Does anybody know if the currently used oled "chip" are a generic piece of hardware born with other purposes and then chosen to be used in the OM keyboard or if it's custom made for it ?
In the first case, maybe it's a common electronic part and the manufacturer could sell it directly to others too, if the need will arise.

With oled "chip" I mean the oled square part you have to push inside the key's socket in the keyboard.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:59 am
Profile WWW

I am doubtful as the lebedev team have been very quiet for a while now, and haven't replied to other support posts. A direct email may get a responce.

The new Popularis is a very different keyboard and the shape of the new keys wouldn't allow them to be swapped to the Maximus. Firstly because they are bigger and have rounded edges, but also because they are now 64x64 pixles in screen size where as the maximus only has 48x48, meaning that the hardware is incompatible as well.

the oled screens are custom made for Lebedev Maximus Keyboard hence the price $$$$$.

See the new Popularis here.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:11 pm

I see, thank you very much.

I'm playing a little with the exposed virtual file system in the MaximusDisk, I would like to make a simple program to aid in the visual test of the oled keys, when one gets a new keyboard. Nothing you can't do using other means but a nice excuse for me to try to access the keyboard from a programmer's point of view :-)

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Art Lebedev Software Developer

This is official answer from Artemy Lebedev:

No, we are not stopping support for existing products and we are working on new products.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm very happy to hear it, as you can imagine !

I see the Wikipedia page has been corrected.

Thank you !

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 am
Profile WWW